Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Haters Gonna Hate

Way back in November 2015, I was featured on an anti-adoption blog. I fixed some formatting and spelling but the rest is intact.

Another Special Angel from Armenia is being RESCUED by yet another self indignant, self righteous nut this one is from Michigan. Save the praises for her - and adoration, she is purchasing this child and it's not cheap. 

[Picture of Zola.]
This poor little "Homie with an extra Chromie" could have stayed with her family had Robin spent $200,000 to improve the conditions in Armenia for special needs children.

Here is Ms. Obenauf's tasteless self adoration (hold the applause for this child savior-wait till she is home and reality of raising a special needs down syndrome child set in)  Obenauf is even selling T Shirts to raise money for the adoption.  Does Obenauf know that the USA's foster care system is full of down syndrome babies looking for a home.   Robin probably doesn't share that part with these do-gooders.
A few things worth noting:

1) Children who are adopted are not purchased. Every attempt was made to make sure her parents willingly gave her up for adoption and I know that in our case, this is 100% accurate.

2) Blogger lady used a picture of Zola even though this was posted in November 2015, the same month I had court for Octavia/Peaches and nearly 4 months after I went on my registration trip. 

3) I don't know if she uses improper language out of spite or out of ignorance but please remember that people first language is important. "Child with Down syndrome" or "child with special needs", not special needs child or Down syndrome child.

4) Yes, adoption is expensive. It is absolutely okay to fund raise and ask for help. Fundraising is not the same as asking for a handout.

5) Yes, there are children with special needs in the US foster care system. No, it isn't an either/or, one size fits all answer. It's okay to adopt children from the US foster care system and it's okay to adopt children with special needs from orphanages internationally. Just because you do one, it does not mean you cannot do the other, too. 

6) Octavia has been home for 2 years now and the reality of raising a child with Down syndrome set in long ago. Yet, she's still mine. I still adore her. She adores me. We were meant to be together. Raising a child with Down syndrome has not been hard for me. Yes, parenting Octavia comes with challenges but she's a strong willed child who loves to get her way. Parenting any child comes with challenges and I will not be deterred just because she happens to have Down syndrome.

The point of me calling this poster out is this: Anyone can trash an adoptive parent for any reason. Don't listen to the naysayers. They're vindictive, jealous people who are unhappy with their own lives and would rather see children grow up in orphanages and then be shipped off to adult mental institutions as long as they kept their "culture".

I'm reminded of a Taylor Swift song, "Shake It Off", when people attempt to slander my name:
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off

No comments:

Post a Comment